Title

Russell Alger

Back

Russell Alger
Russell Alger
click image to zoomclick image to zoom

Subjects: Civil War
Description: Russell A. Alger
Entered service in company C, Second Cavalry at organization as captain, Sept. 2, 1861, at Grand Rapids for 3 years at age 25. Commissioned Sept. 2, 1861. Mustered Oct. 2, 1861. Commissioned major, April 2, 1862. Wounded in action and taken prisoner at Boonville, Mississippi, July 1, 1862. Escaped same day. Resigned, Oct. 27, 1862. Commissioned lieutenant colonel, Sixth Cavalry at organization, Oct. 16, 1862. Mustered, Oct. 30, 1862. Commissioned colonel, Fifth Cavalry, Feb. 28, 1863. Mustered June 11, 1863. Wounded at Boonsboro, Maryland, July 8, 1863. Returned to regiment, Sept. 13, 1863. Commanding brigade from Jan. To Aug. 1864. Resigned and honorably discharged Sept. 20, 1864. Brevet major general, US Volunteers, June 11, 1866 for gallant and meritorious services during the war. Governor, 1885-86; secretary of war 1897. Died 1907

Russel Alexander Alger was the son of Russell Alger of Connecticut and Caroline (Moulton). He was born at Lafayette, Medina county, Ohio on February 27, 1836. In 1861, he married Annette Henry of Grand Rapids, Michigan. They were Presbyterians, and Mr. Alger was a Republican. He was admitted to the bar in 1857 and then to the bar of the Supreme Court of Ohio, 1859.
He was extensively engaged in the lumber business in Detroit beginning in 1866. He was president of the Alger, Smith & Company beginning in 1881, and served as president of the Manistique Lumbering Company, 1882. He was also the director in several banks, governor of Michigan from 1885-87, the secretary of war in 1897, and a US senator in 1902. He died at Washington, D.C. on January 24, 1907.
Format: Image/jpg
Original Format: Black and white photograph
Language: English
Rights Management: Educational use only, no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by Michigan State University and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Contributing Institution: University Archives & Historical Collections
Relation: MSU Photograph Collection
Contributor: MSU Archives and Historical Collections
Request a Copy for Purchase