click image to zoom
Subjects: Civil War
Description: Oscar Palmer, M.D., 57-58
Member company C, U.S. Sharpshooters; assistant surgeon, January 20, 1864. Resigned, October, 1864; house of representative, 1883-85; ex-prosecuting attorney, Crawford County; medical director, G.A.R., Department of Michigan, 1895-99. Physician, farmer, and lawyer, Grayling, MI
Oscar Palmer, son of Lorenzo Palmer and Ruth (Wells) Palmer. Oscar was born at Westfield, Chatauqua county, NY on November 8, 1841. He married Nellie E. Taylor of Hudson, Michigan on October 25, 1864. She was born near Hudson Michigan on February 13, 1941 and was educated there. Mr. Palmer was educated in the common schools of Hudson and for a shot time was a student in the Agricultural College. He took a medical course at the University of Georgetown in Washington D.C. and graduated from there in 1863 with the degree of M.D. He was a Protestant and a Republican.
He was acting assistant surgeon of the 2nd U.S.S. at the time of graduation, and then commissioned by Governor Blair for the same place, serving until October 25, 1864. In December of that same year, he moved to Jonesville, MI where he practiced medical surgery for five years. From 1870-75 he engaged in manufacturing and real estate. He was the editor of the Jonesville Independent newspaper from 1875-80. In 1880, he moved to Grayling, Michigan, erected a planing mill, and ran it for three years. From 1878-83, he devoted all of this spare time to the study of law. He was admitted to practice in state and US courts in 1883. From 1883 until 1911 he served as Prosecuting Attorney and Circuit Court Commissioner for Crawford county. He was Register of US Land Office under President Harrison from 1889-1893, dismissed by Cleveland in 1893, and reappointed by McKinley in 1897.
He was a member of the State Board of Agriculture from 1889-91.
Original Format: Black and white photograph
Rights Management: Educational use only, no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by Michigan State University and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Contributing Institution: University Archives & Historical Collections
Relation: MSU Photograph Collection
Contributor: MSU Archives and Historical Collections
Request a Copy for Purchase