(D)"Old" Power House circa. 1900Back
(D)"Old" Power House circa. 1900
click image to zoom
Description: Phase II of the college brought an increase in the number of students and energy demands. In 1900, a 1 ¾ mile railroad track was built from Trowbridge Rd across the Red Cedar River and behind Olds Hall that transported 3,000 tons of coal annually to the Old College power plant.
Kuhn states that by 1903 funds from a mill tax allowed for the enlargement of the heating plant as well as the construction of a tunnel system for heating. College documents describe the contracting of two mechanical stokers to be installed at this time under the existing boiler allowing for a 25% increase of coal capacity.
This photograph displays men posing in front of the Old Power House in winter.
Original Format: Black and white photograph
Resource Identifier: A001909.jpg
Rights Management: Educational use only, no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by Michigan State University and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Contributing Institution: University Archives & Historical Collections
Relation: MSU Photograph Collection
Contributor: MSU Archives and Historical Collections
Request a Copy for Purchase