Title

The Spartan Statue, "Sparty" (Michigan State Centennial Postcard Pack), 1955

Back

The Spartan Statue, "Sparty" (Michigan State Centennial Postcard Pack), 1955
The Spartan Statue, "Sparty" (Michigan State Centennial Postcard Pack), 1955
click image to zoomclick image to zoom

Creator: George B. Nichols Company
Subjects: Campus, Buildings, Centennial
Description: This photograph is from a pack containing numerous Michigan State postcards in celebration of the centennial. Within the pack there are postcards with pictures of Beaumont Tower, Mason-Abbot Women's Residence Hall, the Physics-Mathmatics building, the Main Lounge at the Union, Robert S. Shaw Men's Residence Hall, Linda E. Landon Residence Hall for Women, The Spartan Statue "Sparty", Macklin Field Stadium, The Alumni Memorial Chapel, Synder-Phillips Residence Hall, Canoe Shelter on the Red Cedar, Kellogg Center, and Farm Lane Bridge. Text on front: "Michigan State College Centennial 1855-1955, East Lansing. Text on back: "Michigan State College, one of the leading universities of the world, celebrates its 100th birthday in 1955. Founded in 1855 as the first agricultural college in the United States, Michigan State was the model for the great land-grant college system established under the Morrill Act of 1862. Michigan State was the first college in the United States dedicated to serving the many rather than the few; it was one of the leading institutions in the movement to bring democracy to high education in America. The modern Michigan State College has an enrollment exceeding 15,000 students, ranking it as the ninth largest institution of higher learning in the United States. Its students come from every state in the union and from over 50 foreign nations. The 620-acre campus at East Lansing, considered among the most beautiful in America, represents a blending of new buildings with natural beauty. The Red Cedar River winds through a scenic campus which contains over 1,700 different varieties of trees and shrubs. Even though more than 33 buildings have been added to the College's physical facilities since 1945, great care has been taken to retain the outstanding natural attractions of the campus.
Date: 1955
Format: Image/jpg
Original Format: Black and white photograph
Resource Identifier: A001765_08.jpg
Language: English
Rights Management: Educational use only, no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by Michigan State University and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Contributing Institution: University Archives & Historical Collections
Relation: MSU Photograph Collection
Contributor: MSU Archives and Historical Collections
Request a Copy for Purchase