Timeline - 1957

Date: 1957
Title: Michigan State University Receives Meadow Brook Farms
Description: Michigan State University received Meadow Brook Farms from Matilda and Alfred G. Wilson. The gift included fourteen-hundred acre Meadow Brook Farms and $2,000,000 cash. The land was valued at $8,000,000. A four-year college was built there by M.S.U. and named Michigan State University Oakland. It remained a branch of M.S.U. until 1970 when it became Oakland University.

Source: Thomas, David A. John Hannah and the Creation of a World University, 1926-1969. (Michigan State University Press,2008), pages 177-178.

View the finding aid for Oakland University records.