click image to zoom
Creator: Blanche Martin
Subjects: Anniversaries, Sesquicentennial
Description: Blanche Martin came to MSU in 1955 as an undergraduate on the football team under coach Duffy Daugherty. He graduated in 1959 with a BS in math and physical science. He did graduate studies in zoology and biochemistry before going to dental school where one of his instructors was John DiBiaggio.
In 1967 he graduated from the University of Detroit Dental School with his DD. Martin set up his dental practice in East Lansing in 1967 and remained in that practice for over 40 years. He was elected to the MSU Board of Trustees in 1969, the first African American to hold that position. He was on the Board from 1969 to 1984, serving as Chair from 1974-76.
Martin was instrumental in improving conditions for minorities at Michigan State – increasing minority enrollment and minority hiring, and trying to get minorities involved at all levels on the MSU campus. Along with several other influential African American men, he started the College of Urban Development at MSU.
Topics/People Covered in the Interview include: Walter Adams; Forest Anderson; Jim Bibbs; Jim Blanchard; Ralph Bonner; Breslin Student Events Center; John Bruff; John Cantlon; Lee Carr; Donald Coleman; College of Nursing; College of Urban Development; Nathan Conyers; Duffy Daugherty; John DiBiaggio; Jerry Dunn; Sam Fishman; Jim Feurig; John Green; Robert Green; Thomas Gunnings; Gordon Guyer; Tent City; NCAA; development fund; University College; MSU Board of Trustees; Jenison Fieldhouse; Kellogg Center; Jack Kenny; Sherm Louis; Cecil Mackey; Joseh MacMillan; Michigan Dental Association; African-Americans on campus; minority affairs; student unrest; Clarence Peaks; Lawrence Qill; Charlie Scarborough; Bert Smith; Spartan Village; The State News; Don Stevens; Benny Stolz; Charlie Vincent; Wharton Center for Performing Arts; Clifton Wharton; Clare White; Bobby Williams; G Mennen Williams; Coburn Young
Date: March 31, 2000
Collection Number: UA 3
Rights Management: Educational use only, no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by Michigan State University and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Contributing Institution: University Archives & Historical Collections, Office of the Provost
Relation: Sesquicentennial Oral History Project
Contributor: MSU Archives and Historical Collections