On the Banks of the Red Cedar provides online access to documents, images, film, and audio materials related to the history of Michigan State University. This site is open for use by MSU faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the public. Combining collections from the MSU Archives & Historical Collections, the MSU Libraries, the MSU Museum and other departments around campus, On the Banks provides a unified site where anyone can go to search for information about MSU's history.
Located on the Red Cedar River in East Lansing, Michigan, Michigan State University was founded in 1855 by an action of the State Legislature. The former Michigan Agricultural College became a University in 1955 and currently hosts over 46,000 students.
Commencement Programs - Programs for commencement exercises at Michigan State from 1862 to present.
M.A.C. Record - Publication covering happenings on campus, alumni activities, and other articles by students, faculty, and alumni. Issues are from 1896 to 1955.
Paul Schiff, Academic Freedom, and the Office of the Ombudsperson Exhibit - As the Office of the Ombudsperson celebrates their 50th anniversary, learn about its important history and mission
The Campus at War for Peace - This 1944 film was developed by the departments of photography, alumni relations, and publications to depict the college's contribution to the war effort during World War II.
The Rock Exhibit - Learn the history of MSU's favorite 18,000 year old stone.