Timeline - 1893
Title: College Health Service Established
Description: "To aid in detecting disease, the College established a health service in the spring of 1893 for which each student was charged a fee of $1.20 a term. The College would summon Dr. James H. Wellings, a former students, or, if the student preferred, a homeopathic physician or a women's doctor. Twice a week Dr. Wellings appeared at an office in the armory to diagnose and treat the ambulatory ill. But students resented the compulsory fee and expressed their opposition by going in droves to see the Doctor. One morning, when almost the entire student body was lined up on the old drill field, the system came to an abrupt end."
Source: Michigan State - the First Hundred Years by Madison Kuhn, page 188.